It is the kitchen of a good housewife associated with home warmth, coziness and comfort, because here she spends much of her time. A significant role in creating the desired focus is played by the design and decoration. The kitchen in the Scandinavian style most harmoniously reflects the exquisite brevity and the atmosphere of the house, which every hostess so dreams of.
The main differences of the Scandinavian style from other areas of design
If you look at the objects and details made in the Scandinavian style, it is difficult not to notice significant differences from other areas:
- White background – the main difference that catches the eye. To give a contrast to the interior, bright elements, expressive pieces of furniture and decor are used;
- functionality and practicality are the main features of the Scandinavian style. Most often, the design goes to the background, because it is important that each object is useful and functional;
- compliance with simple forms and strict lines;
- relatively expensive cost of materials, even in small things. The Scandinavian style is mostly natural finish, often used valuable wood species – larch, needles;
- style is reminiscent of minimalism. There are quite a few details, but a lot of light. Artificial lighting along with natural light visually expands the space of the kitchen. Properly planned lighting allows you to divide the room into several functional areas.
Scandinavian in combination with other styles
The true Scandinavian interior for many lovers of bright elements is too sterile and a little boring, so its combination with other directions will be a great alternative in this case. One has only to add to the strict Scandinavian style notes of classic, modern or country music, how the room will be filled with new rhythms and contrasts.
“Not a white uniform”: shades of colors in Scandinavian design
As mentioned earlier, the main feature of the Scandinavian interior is white. Of course, such a background creates a special atmosphere in the room, filling it with lightness, freshness, light. But if the abundance of white for you is too much, feel free to experiment with its warm shades of cream, milk, cream, snow, etc.
You wish to dilute the interior with other tones – feel free to use elements of blue, gray and even greenish. Bright red, yellow, orange, blue, etc. leave only to give emphasis. The main thing – to adhere to the unity of the palette, without intricate compositions.
1. Optimal lighting. As you know, the inhabitants of the Scandinavian countries are not often happy in sunny days, so they try to fill the interior with the maximum amount of light with the help of natural lighting and light shades.
2. Practicality. By tradition, the Scandinavian-style kitchen is equipped with built-in furniture and appliances to save more space. All the small parts that can be easily removed are hidden away. As a result, space and freedom reign in the kitchen, with all the necessary functionality always at hand.
3. The naturalness of the interior. Scandinavia is rich in forests, so the furniture in the interior should look natural – without staining and deep processing. Curbstones, cabinets, tables and chairs look very elegant in their original woody appearance.
4. White walls. Obviously, this element is a kind of Scandinavian style zest. If you want to make the space warmer, pay attention to the analogues of white – beige, cream tones, ivory and others.
Scandinavian style kitchen furniture
Making the kitchen in this style, please note – the furniture in it should be as small as possible, even if the space allows you to arrange much more elements. The basic rule in this case is everything only the most necessary and multifunctional; above all, simplicity, down to the smallest detail.
Furniture from natural wood would be preferable, and as decoration you can use metal parts or wicker elements that emphasize the non-trivial elegance of style.
As for the shape of the furniture, choose products in a combination of strong and smoother rounded lines.
The white background of the kitchen, as already mentioned, is the obvious solution for the Scandinavian style. It is he who sets the tone for the design of furniture and appliances. However, it is categorically impossible to allow an uncompromising merging of the common space into one spot. And here the best solution would be the presence of bright or dark accents in the technique, headset, tabletop or other elements.
Environmentally friendly design, of course, will emphasize the wooden floor. It is also very popular linoleum in bright colors, imitating wood mass. For greater expressiveness and effect, use a combination of contrasts: for example, white walls and a black floor. The unique elegance of the interior will give the tile in cold shades.
The minimalistic design of the kitchen in the Scandinavian style allows you to apply any coatings for walls and floors, so that they harmoniously resonate with each other and, of course, correspond to the stylistic idea.
Scandinavian style kitchen decor
If the decoration is characterized by simplicity and minimal details, then the decor is just the opposite. Expressive décor will refresh a bit of a dull “cool” design. Bright details will make the kitchen a little more naughty and colorful. Having diversified the interior with cozy textiles, stylish beautiful posters or paintings and other unusual trifles, you can create a perfect design. The main thing – everything should be in moderation and decorated with taste.
In addition, in a small kitchen you can play with the details that will overlap in different parts of the room. Decorative cushions of the same cut and color, cute rugs in opposite areas of the kitchen, a “living” corner with plants, original wall clocks – you can always fantasize.
Scandinavian-style kitchen in the photo
True connoisseurs of elegance and style Scandinavian design fell in love with its versatility, because it is perfect for any layout, and in a small room also allows you to save space.