Experiments in the creation of original wall decoration have no boundaries. Imitation of stone or brickwork, textured plaster and other equipment, of course, very unusual, but, alas, not everyone can afford. In addition, such techniques often require professional skills and abilities in applying to the surface. However, you can always find an alternative, and in this case wallpaper companions. What they are and how to use them in the interior – on this later.
What are companion wallpapers?
Companion wallpapers are two wall coverings that differ in color, texture or ornament. But the most important principle here is a harmonious combination of canvases.
The most common are: neutral tones on two or three planes, bright ornamental and expressive companions on one or two planes. Such a finish can be represented in the form of stripes, squares and other combinations that look great in interior design.
Much can be said about the advantages of such decoration of walls, but the obvious ones are:
- unlimited opportunities for designer creativity;
- originality and custom decoration wallpaper companion;
- by combining styles, textures, colors, you can successfully hide the obvious disadvantages of a room;
- wallpaper companions suggest the presence of ready-made combinations in abundance of various modifications. And you do not need to choose the combination of painful and long options – the manufacturers of finishing materials have already provided for everything;
- paired wallpaper – a great option for simple zoning;
- This wall decor can be arranged in any room, be it a living room, a bedroom, a nursery or a hall.
We select a pair: the basic rules
In order to organically enter such a reception of decorative decoration in any style, purpose, and size of the room, you need to follow a few important but simple rules. So, the combinations can be classified as follows:
one. Same color palette, but different textures and patterns. This type is found in the finished collections of manufacturers. Distinctive characteristics – a background canvas of a monotonous neutral shade or with a barely noticeable pattern. His companion – expressive, bright, in the same tone, but much more noticeable. This type of finish is usually used in European classical styles.
2. Different colors, but the same pattern and texture. Here, the background wallpaper is quite neutral, calm; decorative, on the contrary – catchy and noticeable. Background paintings in the room should be at least 60%. This technique is popular in such modern styles as minimalism, eclectic, high-tech.
3. Unlike drawing, color and texture – the most original way of combination, but manufacturers do not produce ready-made combinations, so here you need to trust your personal preferences and taste. Typically, this technique is used in the experiments of only professional designers who have been engaged in the choice of finishes for more than a year. This combination looks beautiful in eclectic or pop art styles.
Variants of a combination of background and bright canvas
In addition to the selection of colors, patterns and textures for wallpaper companions, you should also take into account the combination of the volume of background wallpaper and bright. Consider a few basic rules:
- one wall is decorated with bright wallpaper, the rest – background. This option is often used in the decoration of the children’s room;
- alternation of cloths with stripes, the width of which may be different or the same;
- horizontal zoning, when the lower part of the walls is plastered with dark wallpaper or sufficiently bright, with a large pattern, and the upper part with neutral light or with a small pattern (or vice versa). Places of joints, as a rule, are decorated with molding. Such a decision will help to visually adjust the space. So, in a room with high ceilings for the lower part of the wall with a bright or dark background, it is best to allocate a place up to 2 meters high from the floor; if the ceilings are low or standard, then 1 meter will be quite enough.
- inserts – a relatively simple version of decorating walls. After all, first of all, the background canvas is pasted, and already on top of it is a bright and conspicuous companion. Bright inserts frame the frames. This type of wallpaper combination is characteristic of classic interiors;
- patchwork method is interesting, but rather difficult to implement. The decoration on the walls is very similar to the patchwork, but in this case from the wallpaper. Here, the scraps are distributed in a staggered manner. At the same time, individual companions should be contrasted and perfectly combined with other elements. The main principle is the harmony and integrity of the perception of the composition;
- contrast walls and ceiling – this technique is used for a clearer perception of the volume of space; this way of finishing gives the room greater depth and expressiveness.
To the note: choosing a pair or three of companions, consider that contrasting combinations visually reduce the space. Therefore, the ideal option for a compact room will be plain canvas and with a pattern, but not bright combinations.
How to visually adjust the space using companion wallpaper?
This method of finishing allows you to successfully correct the flaws and irregular shapes of the room. Consider the basic techniques:
- You can paste over walls with defects on the background wallpaper, and a bright surface with bright ones. This will help to divert attention from imperfect planes;
- the rectangular shape of the room will be easy to turn into a square, if the long surfaces are decorated with canvases with a vertical pattern, short ones – with a horizontal one;
- if you wish to extend the space opposite to the entrance to the entrance, they decorate with wallpaper with a darker color, if the task to expand the room is the same place, they are decorated with pastel light shades;
- better to avoid bright contrasts in a small room, they will make it even smaller;
- in a room with a large luxurious square, you can safely apply three variants of wallpaper companions without any particular limitations in brightness.
Tip: when choosing wallpaper for the combination of finishes you should not buy paintings from different manufacturers and different price categories. Budget material will be too contrasted with expensive. This will significantly reduce the cost of interior design, even if the textured and color combination is chosen successfully.
Paired wallpaper is a great option to refresh and dilute the standard furnishings of a modern interior. To make such canvases look harmonious, listen to the rules described above regarding combinations, but it is better to entrust this question to a professional expert with rich experience in creating such projects.
What kind of wall decoration in your apartment? And what type of wallpaper combination did you like the most? Share with us in the comments.